Bon Bon Chicken or bang bang chicken salad or Chinese shredded chicken salad is another representative of Sichuan cuisine and is almost available in every restaurant selling Sichuan dishes.
- 1 pound boneless chicken breast
- 2 slices ginger
- 2 cups water
- 1 section shallot
- 2 spring onions
- 1 L cold water
- 2 teaspoons Sichuan peppercorn powder
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon black vinegar
- 1.5 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped spring onions
- Prepare a large pot. Add cold water, ginger slices and the boneless chicken breast in. Bring all the content to a boiling for around 3~5 minutes and immediately lower down the fire to simmer for around 5 minutes. Use a chop sticker to test; stop the heating process until you can easy insert the chop sticker in.
- Leave the pot covered around 10 minutes.
- Cut shallots and the white part of spring onion into shreds. And then finely chop the green parts of spring onion.
- Put all the seasoning and condiments in a large bowl to make the mala sauce.
- Pour the cold water in a large pot and move the chicken meat from the heating pot to this one. Soak around 5~10 minutes or until the meat is totally cooled down. Then move out and drain.
- Put the chicken meat in a plastic bag and beat with rolling pin from one side to another. Repeat the process for 2~3 times and then shred the chicken by hands.
- Then mix with chicken shreds with sauce in the large bowl. And finally add cucumber and scallions in and mix evenly.
- Top with chopped spring onions and it's eating time.